2 slices of bread (mine was a white and rye mix)
4 cherry tomatoes
A splash of red wine vinegar
5 rashers streaky bacon
1 head gem lettuce
a small knob of butter
1/4 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp white wine vinegar
115ml oil (I used 100ml rapeseed and 15ml olive oil)
1. Slice your bread and set aside for later.
2. Slice up the tomatoes, as shown in the video and macerate in a splash of red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil. Set aside.
3. In the meantime, make the mayonnaise. Separate the egg and keep the white for another use. In a bowl, combine the egg yolk, mustard, white wine vinegar and a pinch of salt. As shown in the video, slowly add the oil whilst whisking until your mixture is emulsified. If it splits, put a new egg yolk into a clean bowl and slowly pour the split mixture into the egg yolk, whilst whisking. This will re-emulsify the mayonnaise. Set aside.
4. Cook the bacon in a pan on a low heat until it's crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and add the bread, toasting it lightly.
5. Wash the lettuce and separate into single leaves.
5. Remove the toasted bread and butter lightly. Then add a generous amount of your homemade mayonnaise. On one side put your lettuce followed by macerated tomatoes. Put the bacon on the other side. That way you won't wilt the lettuce with the warm bacon.
6. Assemble the sandwich, cut in half and serve!