2 Mozzarella balls
For the sauce:
1 400g tin plum tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
A glass of red wine (roughly 125ml)
Pinch of salt
Pinch of sugar (if the tomatoes are too acidic)
Small bunch thyme
For the breadcrumb topping:
50g Panko breadcrumbs
50g Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
1 tsp thyme leaves, picked
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F)
2. Start by slicing the aubergines 5mm thick lengthways. Salt them thoroughly as shown in the video, put in a colander and leave for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, finely chop the garlic and fry in a small saucepan with olive oil, swirling the pan in a circular motion to help the garlic cook evenly. Add the tomato, wine, thyme, salt and sugar (if needed). Bring to the boil then turn down to a very low heat and reduce slowly for 30 minutes.
4. Rinse the aubergines in cold water whilst squeezing the liquid out of them. Pat dry.
5. In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan, thyme leaves, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
6. Shallow fry the aubergine slices in a small amount of olive oil until brown on both sides. Leave to drain on some kitchen paper.
7. Spread a small amount of tomato on the base of your baking dish, followed by the aubergine then the mozzarella, torn into pieces. Continue with this pattern (tomato, aubergine, mozzarella) until all of your ingredients are used up.
8. Sprinkle the top with the breadcrumb topping and put in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until crispy and bubbling at the sides.
9. Serve with a fresh green salad and enjoy!