Hot Cross Buns
150ml whole milk
2 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
a pinch of saffron
10g dry active yeast
1tsp caster sugar
500g strong white flour
25g caster sugar
25g light muscovado sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
75g butter, cubed
100g raisins, sultanas or currents (or a mix
100g mixed peel
55g plain flour
2 tbsp apricot jam
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C. In a pan, combine the milk, water, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and saffron. Heat gently until the surface begins to shiver slightly. Transfer into a jug and leave to cool down until lukewarm.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, muscovado and caster sugar, mixed spice and nutmeg. Mix well.
3. Once the milk and water have cooled down, add the yeast and 1 tsp sugar and whisk to incorporate.
4. With the tips of your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
5. Once the yeast, milk etc. has a foam on its surface, make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour it in, adding the egg as well.
6. Using a fork, mix well. Then knead for about 2 minutes until really well incorporated and the dough is just beginning to look smoother. Leave to rest for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
7. Once the dough has doubled, knead in the currents and shape the buns (refer to my video for tips here). Leave until doubled in size or for an hour.
8. Make the paste for the crosses and put into a piping bag.
9. Once the buns have rested, pipe the crosses onto them and bake for 20-25 minutes.
10. Melt the apricot jam gently, strain out any lumps and gently brush the buns with warm jam.
11. Enjoy! x