Makes 3.5 litres
2.5kg granulated sugar
3 unwaxed lemons
40 elderflower heads
55g citric acid
1. Pick the elderflowers and make sure you have the right flower! Check for any insects.
2. Add elderflowers, lemon slices and citric acid to a big pan. Add 2 litres of water and stir well, pressing the elderflowers and lemon so they're covered by water.
3. Cover and let infuse overnight.
4. The next day, strain the liquid through a muslin cloth, to catch all the flowers. Squeeze all of the flavour out of the flowers in the muslin.
5. Return liquid to the pan and add the sugar.
6. Bring to boil again, stirring frequently to dissolve all the sugar, and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. In the meantime, sterilise some glass bottles and their lids in the oven or with boiling water. If you are going to use a funnel or any other pouring aid, sterilise that too.
8. Bottle the finished cordial while it's still hot.